[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 07:44:21 CET 2010

Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>>    * have other customization options during the install. Not easily
>>      at least. I have seen a handful of .deb packages that prompt for
>>      a Yes/No question, but that's about it. Most prompted in a console
>>      window (ugly) and one or two prompted in a GTK2 dialog (no idea how).
>
> The frontend can be anything. Some GUIs shows graphical dialogs for
> the questions.

Point is, are all package management systems equal in there features. Does
all of them support showing readme, custom questions, GUI dialogs etc?

> Other points:
> deb/rpm/ports/... repositories have some advantages:
> - mirrors
> - databases of all installed files
> - databases of all available files and packages
> - automatic update of all packages
> - automatic install of sets of packages

And more points against repositories...

* repositories are not meant for commercial software. At least I haven't
seen any. And no the "meta" packages that simply install a script, that
then has to use something like wget to download the actual commercial
software doesn't cut it for us. eg: Microsoft Core Web Fonts .deb package.

* You must have an internet connection (and a reasonably fast one at that).
Realisticly, many South African internet user still use dial-up modems.

* A full install of our flagship product is 8GB in size. I don't even want
to download that with my 3G modem. My internet connection at home is capped
at 500MB per month. Only this year are we switched to DVDs - before that we
shipped our product on a CD set (+- 12 disks).

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/