[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:22:22 CET 2010

George Lober wrote:
> The few that caught my eye were very basic, and not workable with closed
> source commercial software.
>
>    http://developer.berlios.de/projects/fixinst/
>    http://autopackage.org/

We looked at projects like AutoPackage (I really liked this one),
ZeroInstall, etc... All nice, but unfortunately they first require a
"runtime" to be installed *before* you can install *.package files. That's
no good, because not a single mainstream distro comes standard with those
runtime packages pre-installed.

The Installer itself shouldn't have such requirements, it should just run.

> Besides the deployment issues, another thing that discourages me from
> writing software for Linux is the virtual non existence of anti-cracking
> software.

I know what you mean. We flew 1200km to the biggest Security Confrence in
South Africa and spoke to every single vendor there. Not one had
"anti-cracking" security software for Linux. Windows sure, but not Linux.
So we had to implemented that ourselves. We can now lease software, lock to
hardware, xx-day evaluation, etc...  Unfortunately that code is not open
source.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/