[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 11:34:52 CET 2010

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> The point that I was trying to make, is that they are cross-distro exactly
> because of that (being mostly statically linked).

OK. In our case, all our products and required features (encryption, xml
support, etc) are all compiled into the executable. So we simply need a
bare bones GUI to run in.

> Clear. But if it is internal and not user adaptable, all communication must
> happen (be possible) via the cmdline.

It is, yes. makeself can accept parameters to itself or pass them on to the
program it's going to execute. Alternatively, you can package the setup in
such a way that it doesn't need user interaction.

> Make it at least pluggable, so that if you need to support some odd ball
> desktop, you can at least run a script or binary to install the link.

Each option (feature to be installed) can support a custom script. We also
have global pre and post install and uninstall scripts. So you can hook
into any of those and do whatever task you want. We know how hard it is to
please everybody, so we thought long and hard on making it as flexible as
possible.

BTW:
If your setup is limited to one specific platform, those scripts could be
replaced with binary executables too.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/