[Lazarus] DBGrid painting confusion

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:56:46 CET 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> George Lober wrote:
>
>> The few that caught my eye were very basic, and not workable with closed
>> source commercial software.
>>
>>    http://developer.berlios.de/projects/fixinst/
>>    http://autopackage.org/
>>

> We looked at projects like AutoPackage (I really liked this one),
> ZeroInstall, etc... All nice, but unfortunately they first require a
> "runtime" to be installed *before* you can install *.package files. That's
> no good, because not a single mainstream distro comes standard with those
> runtime packages pre-installed.
>
> The Installer itself shouldn't have such requirements, it should just run.
>

>> Besides the deployment issues, another thing that discourages me from
>> writing software for Linux is the virtual non existence of anti-cracking
>> software.
>>

> I know what you mean. We flew 1200km to the biggest Security Confrence in
> South Africa and spoke to every single vendor there. Not one had
> "anti-cracking" security software for Linux. Windows sure, but not Linux.
> So we had to implemented that ourselves. We can now lease software, lock to
> hardware, xx-day evaluation, etc...  Unfortunately that code is not open
> source.

The one I know about is called FlexNet, by ROVI (previously
MacroVision). It does support multiple platforms including Linux:

   http://www.rovicorp.com/company/11082.htm
   http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/flexnet-publisher/features.htm

but is a big league mega buck solution. Four years back when I inquired
about cost, it was several thousands of dollars.