[Lazarus] Reconstructing Lazarus Website 2: the content

Bee Jay bee.ography at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:21:44 CET 2010

On 30 January 2010 12:54, Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl> wrote:

> The main page contains links to Downloads and Mailing list information on
> prominent places. AFAIK the Lazarus team doesn't have web designer, and that
> shows.

A product website firstly gives a bit of summary information. This
includes things like:

  * What is Lazarus?
  * What is LCL?
  * What is the latest version?
  * Where can I documentation (IDE & LCL)?
  * Where can I get installation/setup instructions?
  * Where can I download it from?

Currently the Lazarus website looks like a forum website. Everybody
but the core Lazarus developers say that.
Why?

* At the top left we have a login section
* At the top right (same level as the word Lazarus) we have title
"simple machine forums"
* On the right we have recent forum posts.
* On the right bottom we have forum statistics.
* The search box searches...wait for it.... The FORUMS.
* In the middle we have "recent news".

NOWHERE does it say WHAT Lazarus is? Nowhere does it say the latest
version, or when it was released. Nowhere does it say what platforms
it supports or what widgetsets it supports.

It is simply not a product website! I'm not a web designer either, but
at least I can spot the difference. The Lazarus Wiki is more a product
website, so make the wiki the default page for
www.lazarus.freepascal.org and on the wiki right column add a link to
the Forum website.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I am simple pointing out the
obvious faults of the current "first port of call" website new users
get when they want to know about the Lazarus project. Why make it so
difficult for new users?

  - Graeme -