[Lazarus] Parser

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 1 19:14:40 CEST 2010

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Do you seriously expect that things will change, without any feedback? :-(
>
> Perhaps you missed the ToPas documentation, available in a separate download?
> I know that this project is very hard to use, due to the dependency on
> external resources (header files, compiler specifications), so that I can
> understand when people have problems to use it as-is. That's why I abandoned
> further work on this project, many years ago, after I could make it work with
> the header files and libraries of several compilers. And there was no reason
> to put my hands on it at any later time, due to zero feedback. In detail I
> missed feedback with ideas to make it easier usable.

First idea: make it a lazarus project. I rarely have windows available.

After a trivial test, I wanted to translate libsee. It's heavily unix based,
so of course the whole windows side of the - now discovered, thank you -
docu is useless.

BTW. The reference to Templates.htm in index.html is wrong.

> I've already been spending much time in the Lazarus docking managers, so that
> now the IDE offers docking support, after years of preparations. But since
> this project is almost finished now, I'm looking for further projects, that
> may be useful to others. I can spend all my time in such projects, the only
> limitation is increasing age and consequential health problems.

Well, if you need things to do:
- Make fcl-passrc complete. (*NOT* extract parser from compiler).
- use it to create a pascal to javascript translator.
- Create a .net backend code generator.
- Create a java bytecode backend code generator.

The latter 2 are much asked for by users, and while none of the core
maintainers has any desire to work on them, patches implementing them will
definitely be accepted (within certain limits the team will set) if you
also accept maintenance.
Since you seem well versed in pascal, parsing and whatnot, I think you
should be up to the task.

And contrary to a new front-end, I think there will be little to no
discussion about their acceptance, as long as the pascal language is
respected.

Michael.