[Lazarus] Parser

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jul 2 11:06:01 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 06:13:06PM +1000, Peter E Williams wrote:
> I have been trying to follow this discussion but didn't know what part
> to quote.
>
> I was under the possibly mistaken impression that Delphi allowed the
> user to link in C/C++ code to a Delphi project. I have never done this.
> I assumed that Lazarus could link in GNU C/C++ code. Is this, or ever
> will it, be possible. What is stopping us from doing this?

Dodi thinks integrating a C compiler will allow him to do away with writing
headers for such code in Pascal.

I don't.

C++ is a different matter. While both Delphi and FPC can link to it, it can
not use them. Even Delphi needs specially crafted C++ (pureclass) code to
reuse them on a higher level (without VMT hackery). This even though BCB is
from the same vendor.

The same for the other way around, BCB using Delphi/Pascal code requires a lot of
$externalsym in the Pascal code so that a header can be generated for it.

Show me a similar product, and I'll show you the compromises they had to
make that make this non-trivial. Why? Because there is a fundamental
problem, that can't be brushed away that easily.