[Lazarus] Some information please

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 12:04:37 CEST 2010

This is rapidly getting to the point where it ought to be in
lazarus-other, but

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Yes, but not always, e.g. billing apps, testing setups etc.
>
> E.g. I last week did a little CRM app based on zeos

Reading what people are using Lazarus for, I'm struck by the fact that
it doesn't appear to be the database and commercial stuff that Borland
assumed was a large enough market to keep Delphi alive.

And that, quite simply, could answer the OP's question about why Delphi
is no longer a market leader: it's not that it's based on Pascal so much
as it's promoted as competing with business-oriented tools such as Clarion.

And it's worth remembering that Clarion swallowed JPI/TopSpeed for the
sake of its tools, in much the same way as Embarcadero appears to have
swallowed Codegear/Borland.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk