[Lazarus] TBufDataSet, TMemDataSet and a big headache.

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed Jul 14 16:36:45 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 12:23 -0300, Marcelo B de Paula wrote:
> Thanks Joost for the answer.
>
> I forgot to mention that i am using Lazarus trunk (0.9.29 rev 26602) with
> fpc 2.5.1.

A perfect example that this information is necessary. Now I wrote a
complete mail with useless information. (My last email that is)

> I just mentioned TClientDataset because of others said here in the list and
> in Lazarus forum.
>
> My concern is that the component seems to be incomplete e can cause some
> user headache and needs to be bug reported.
>
> If it is available in component palette, IMHO, it could offer more in design
> time, and not assume
> that the final user will know that he must do all the stuff in code.
>
> BTW, if someone has some sample of its use, please send it to me.
> Thanks in advance.

There are a lot in packages/fcl-db/tests. But maybe not very 'easy' to
understand.

I now remember a bur-report that looks like your story. Someone tried to
create a dataset using the fields definitions. But that is, afaik, not
possible. Also not with a TCLientDataset. (If this is possible using a
TClientDataset, please tell me. In that case I have some coding to do)

What you should do us add field-definitions. And then call
TBufDataset.CreateTable. Then you can open the dataset and see how the
fields got automatically added. Btw: it should be possible to add fields
of the data-kind. (Lazarus issue)

If the TMemDs has the ability to create the table from within the IDE,
that can be added to TBufDataset too. But that's a Lazarus issue.

I see that there are a lot of properties not published. I'll publish
them and ask the 2.4.2 release manager if it is still possible to add
this to the final release.

Joost.