[Lazarus] "show declaration hints" has more power in it than is really used

Andreas Schneider aksdb at gmx.de
Thu Jul 22 17:30:01 CEST 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:38:03 +0200, Bernd <prof7bit at googlemail.com> wrote:

> It will show the text of the above comment when hovering the mouse

> over any occurrence of this method call. This is a GREAT feature.

It also shows fpdoc entries. That is even more useful ;-)

> Now here comes my complaint: 99% of all code in LCL and Lazarus seems

> to be completely undocumented, in some places there are thousands of

> consecutive lines without any single comment, types and variables and

> method after method with funny names, obscure parameters and obscure

> return values are declared without any mentioning of what they might

> be good for, *who* or what kind of code at the other end of the

> project might use them and *when* and *how* and under what

> circumstances.

Many classes and methods are already documented in fpdoc. Those are

external

files which are used to generate the separate help packages but are also

parsed and shown by the Lazarus IDE already. You just have to specifiy the

path(s) to those docs (Settings --> FPDoc-Editor --> Paths).

In other words: the feature is there, and already in use. What is indeed

missing, is still a lot of documentation. Feel free to add them using the

fpdoc editor of Lazarus :D