[Lazarus] Tutorial Compiling/installing FPC and Lazarus from Sources of SVN

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Jul 23 00:07:41 CEST 2010

On 7/22/2010 14:42, Reimar Grabowski wrote:
> Disclaimer: I am not a Windows guy and don't know what a exe is, means or does. :)

in the DOS/Win world, the extension traditionally denotes what the file can
do... .exe and .com are executables... .com files are basically memory snaps and
are/were some of the easiest to create... nowadays, everything is .exe because
it must be loadable into certain areas of memory... i don't know of anyone that
is creating .com files any more unless they are in a pure traditional DOS type
environment...

there's a lot more to this story but this isn't the place for it and i'd have to
really dig for more meaty info if it were desired ;)

FWIW: i used to create .com files via debug and certain special scripts all the
time... one of the easiest was a reboot mechanism of only a couple of bytes... 4
bytes, IIRC... maybe 6... two separate ones for each type of booting desired on
intel-oriented systems... one for a warm boot (no memory count and such) and the
other for cold boot (complete initialization)...