[Lazarus] comments in source [Re: "show declaration hints" has more power in it than is really used]

Bernd prof7bit at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 24 15:39:01 CEST 2010

2010/7/24 Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de>:
> Then again, in *this* *case* this comment is for an internally only used
> class, usable only for people working inside this unit. So you read it as
> you explore the source, rather than in the hint.

All of what I am saying is for people working on the internal code.

The hint is still useful when I am at a place where it is used and not
where it is declared. This unit is 3700 lines of code, I can either
jump to the declaration to see what it is/does (then i have to jump
back again) or I could just hover my mouse over the identifier and
have the most useful information in a little hint window.

The reason it is not reliable in Lazarus is that comments are not used
and for some strange reason the programmers find documentation is
completely useless (for themselves) because everybody is writing only
for himself and the compiler and for nobody else and accidentally
reading a block comment above a class definition with detailed
information that is already known to the programmer (because he once
wrote it), reading his own writing again would create a distraction so
big that further programming would become almost impossible.