[Lazarus] Lazarus Resources

Josh Lee frozen-dragon96 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 10:52:08 CEST 2010

I am now very confused. I have been told by someone on Lazarus Forums that to write an installer, I would need to use Resources. I have done some research into resources, and got this:Resource (Windows)From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Microsoft Windows, resources are read-only data embedded in EXE, DLL, CPL or (beginning with Windows Vista) MUI files.
The Windows API provides for easy access to all applications' resources.
[edit]TypesEach resource has a type and a name, both being either numeric identifiers or strings.
Windows has a set of predefined resource types:
Cursor and animated cursorIconBitmapDialog box templateFontHTML documentString and message templateVersion data---------------------------------------------------------
So it seems that I cannot store a FILE in a resource.
All I wish to do is make a simple installer that installs an .exe onto the user's hard disk.
Thank you for the link, Mattias. It seems the page has been updated since I last saw it.
This is the code for my installer so far:procedure TMainForm.InstallButtonClick(Sender: TObject);beginStatusMemo.Append('Attempting to retrive file...');CRes := LazarusResources.Find('test');StatusMemo.Append('test resource found.');{So what do I do here to get the .exe stored in the resource(Compiled with Lazres) and place it on the users hard disk?}...
Do I have some mislead conception of a 'resource'?What comes next in the code?Thanks in advance,- JoshPS. Sorry for the repeated posts, I'm having time lag and I'm posting from a crappy device