[Lazarus] Handheld development

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 19:22:03 CEST 2010

Sven Barth wrote:
> On 26.07.2010 18:13, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> I was being asked about this the other day, the boss is thinking about
>> PDAs. Can anybody summarise where Lazarus is at, for both Native and
>> cross-development?
>
> With Free Pascal itself you can compile for Windows CE i386 (not tested
> that much) and ARM, iPhone and iPad (both ARM) as well as Linux on ARM.

So what is the problem with iPhone- apart from Steve Jobs? Is it purely
licensing or is it something to do with getting apps into the App Store?

>> Apart from that Netbooks etc. running standard Linux should be OK,
>> presumably that covers the current generation of Palm.
>
> On Linux you need to have enough RAM (mostly for FPC), a X window system
> and either GTK(+) or QT to run Lazarus.

I've compiled and run Lazarus on an ARM-based Linux system with 32Mb RAM
plus 512Mb swap. The thing to really avoid is the standard desktop
environments- I was using FluxBox.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk