[Lazarus] Handheld development

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 26 20:06:12 CEST 2010

On 26.07.2010 19:22, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Sven Barth wrote:
>> On 26.07.2010 18:13, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>> I was being asked about this the other day, the boss is thinking about
>>> PDAs. Can anybody summarise where Lazarus is at, for both Native and
>>> cross-development?
>>
>> With Free Pascal itself you can compile for Windows CE i386 (not
>> tested that much) and ARM, iPhone and iPad (both ARM) as well as Linux
>> on ARM.
>
> So what is the problem with iPhone- apart from Steve Jobs? Is it purely
> licensing or is it something to do with getting apps into the App Store?

I don't know of any problems (but I'm not an Apple customer ^^). Maybe
there are even none, because the only real concern of Apple is Adobe
with Flash. Also there might not have been enough "PR" for FPC on those
devices...

>>> Apart from that Netbooks etc. running standard Linux should be OK,
>>> presumably that covers the current generation of Palm.
>>
>> On Linux you need to have enough RAM (mostly for FPC), a X window
>> system and either GTK(+) or QT to run Lazarus.
>
> I've compiled and run Lazarus on an ARM-based Linux system with 32Mb RAM
> plus 512Mb swap. The thing to really avoid is the standard desktop
> environments- I was using FluxBox.

Well... with swap space it works of course. But e.g. most Windows CE ARM
devices don't have that "luxury".

Can you check what the memory and swap usage is when running Lazarus and
when compiling an application (maybe compiling Lazarus itself clean)?
(I'm just curious)

Regards,
Sven