[Lazarus] Handheld development

Dave Coventry dgcoventry at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:34:39 CEST 2010

On 29 July 2010 11:19, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> Henry Vermaak wrote:
>
>> supporter like Adobe, they can do it to anyone.  I can't believe
>> developers take this lying down, either, as I just won't take the risk in
>> spending time and energy developing for a platform where someone can flick a
>> kill switch on my app at any time.
>
> I agree, but we also have to consider other portals or facilitators such as
> Google. I'd also suggest that people such as Apple do have a legitimate
> right to exclude developers and apps which have been proven to screw users'
> appliances.
>
> What /is/ the AppStore in this context? It's obviously a repository at an
> address flashed into Apple devices, but does it also sign apps validating
> that they're legitimate?

The apple user base is incredibly loyal and will look to the AppStore
for their applications.

It does give the developer very good access to a prospective market
which isn't really available in any other product or avenue.

If I could find a way of developing for their products without having
to invest in their hardware it would certainly be worth considering,
even given the control that they tend to seek over the Apps in their
store.