[Lazarus] Installing lazarus on Windows, horror story goes on

José Mejuto joshyfun at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 01:13:24 CEST 2010

Hello Lazarus-List,

JM> I personally managed to install it. Lucky me :-)
JM> I think I underestimated the difficulty of installation for a
JM> non-programmer.

A non-programmer or system admin (or at least personal system admin)
takes different mental rules about almost everything in a computer
environment (examples):

* Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to "Press
Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the "Any" key
is.

* AST technical support had a caller complaining that her mouse was
hard to control with the dust cover on. The cover turned out to be the
plastic bag the mouse was packaged in.

* Another Compaq technician received a call from a man complaining
that the system wouldn't read word processing files from his old
diskettes. After trouble-shooting for magnets and heat failed to
diagnose the problem, it was found that the customer had labeled the
diskettes' then rolled them into the typewriter to type the labels.
(the old flexible 5" floppies)

* Another AST customer was asked to send a copy of her defective
diskettes. A few days later a letter arrived from the customer along
with photocopies of the floppies...

* A Dell technician advised his customer to put his troubled floppy
back in the drive and close the door. The customer asked the tech to
hold on, and was heard putting the phone down, getting up and crossing
the room to close the door to his room.

And for me the best one!:
------------
Novell NetWire SysOp:

Caller: "Hello, is this Tech Support?"

Tech: "Yes, it is. How may I help you?"

Caller: "The cup holder on my PC is broken and I am within my warranty
period. How do I go about getting that fixed?"

Tech: "I'm sorry, but did you say a cup holder?"

Caller: "Yes, it's attached to the front of my computer."

Tech: "Please excuse me if I seem a bit stumped, It's because I am.
Did you receive this as part of a promotional, at a trade show? How
did you get this cup holder? Does it have any trademark on it?"

Caller: "It came with my computer, I don't know anything about a
promotional. It just has '4X' on it."

At this point the Tech Rep had to mute the caller, because he couldn't
stand it. He was laughing too hard. The caller had been using the load
drawer of the CD-ROM drive as a cup holder, and snapped it off the
drive!
-------------------

So after a few smiles :) next time install some remote desktop
software like VNC and install it yourself or at least supervise and
capture error screens. I had suffered your same problem several times,
like installing in Vista and the user changing "C:\Program
files\SoftwareName" by "C:\C:\Your usual install folder without the
quotes\" because he thinks it matches more exactly what my email tells
him :)

--
Best regards,
 José