[Lazarus] Installing lazarus on Windows, horror story goes on

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Jul 30 02:58:28 CEST 2010

On 7/29/2010 19:49, Wildfire wrote:
> A few years ago I worked for a large internet technical support dept for
> business customers. One call I recieved went something like this...
>
> Caller: So what does this super duper line give me that's better than a normal one.
> Me: Instead of 56kb/s you can download up to 2mb/s
> Caller: What's download?
> Me: Basically retrieving files etc off the internet, your broadband line could
> allow it to go around 40 times faster
> Caller: Ahh, so you need a computer for that then
>
> Turns out he was cold called from the sales dept and he had broadband activated
> withought even having a computer. Fortunatly I was able to cancel the contract
> as a mis-sell or he would have been stuck paying £20/month for 18 months.

somehow i can actually see that happening... i have several friends who could
sell ice to those who live in the permanently frozen north/south...

when i was "in the biz" i had to deal with a few similar to those listed in the
original post... one solution i was told to make involved going to a large law
firm and applying rub off decal letters to the space bars of every machine that
had one... the result was that "ANY" in nice bright and shiny gold letters was
on them all... we never got another call about the "ANY key" from them and they
were one of our best clients for years to come ;)

i should also mention that this was back in the mid to late '80s and they had
just purchased ~50-75 brand new 486 machines along with a large 8 or 12 ppm HP
laser printer from us for their typing pool :)

those were the real heydays of the computer world :lol: