[Lazarus] Some syntax changes

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Jul 31 11:28:44 CEST 2010

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:56:39 +0200
Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
>
> >> BTW, what about a compiler package, installable into the IDE? I'm just
> >> redesigning the compiler (OO_rewrite branch), but the future of this
> >> branch is yet unknown.
> >
> > Remarks:
> > -You don't need the OO rewrite for this. But the OO rewrite could help
> > to install cross compilers for other processors and to allow to reset
> > the compiler.
>
> Right, it's not a requirement, but it can simplify and speed up the use
> of the compiler.
>
> > -it requires changes to the options, the gui, the cache.
>
> In detail the compiler options could/should be passed directly to the
> compiler, not in form of commandline options (string).

Compiling must work the same with an installed compiler and on
command line. It's hard to test all combinations, so better not use any
shortcuts.

> Also the time
> consuming unit search could be reduced or eliminated, when the IDE and
> compiler share the same file/directory cache.

Yes.
Although I guess they need different structures. But the
compiler could load files/directories from the IDE caches. That should speed up a lot, especially under windows.

> And not to forget the
> handling of compiler messages, that can go immediately into the IDE
> messages window.

They should not go "immediately". They need to be categorized,
filtered, improved and buffered. And when code changes the output is
adapted.
I want to rewrite that part in the next release.

> > -I plan to rewrite the part that executes external tools after the
> > next release. Registering another compiler is planned.
> > Conclusion: let's wait with this after the oo rewrite.
>
> ACK. But I found your ideas very instructive, with regards to what
> functionality should be moved into dedicated and exchangable
> classes/objects :-)
>
> Do you already have more concrete ideas, what in detail should be
> encapsulated, WRT later IDE integration of the compiler?

I don't have concrete ideas yet.
I have a long list of goals, including translation,
multithreading and different compilers.

Mattias