[Lazarus] Lazarus installation on Mac plus other thoughts

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sat Jul 31 13:44:14 CEST 2010

On 31/07/2010 10:37, Bernd Kreuss wrote:
> Am 28.07.2010 15:28, schrieb Martin:
>
>> MacOSX license only allows to run the OS on Apple hardware.
>> So even if you own an original MacOsX....
>
> Please don't use the term "illegal" in such an inflationary manner.
> What is illegal is defined by the laws and by nothing else.
Let me put the full context of my statement back:
> I am learning new every day. I didn't know of such iDeneb 1.6.
> Even their home page doesn't explain properly what it is. The download
> link has only an old version. There is a login window but no
> registration link. Is it something legal or not? Does it need the
> original OSX disks to install?
> Questions...
> IDeneb to the best of my knowledge is a hacked version of MacOsX, so
> it runs on a wider selection of hardware => hence it is not legal
Someone did ask " Is it something legal or not"
I did answer (in short): "to the best of my knowledge ..... it is not
legal"
The statement (about legality) is a conclusion of what is the best of my
knowledge => nowhere did I say that this is the ultimate, defined,
agreed-by-all truth.

What is inflationary about this?

Well actually, the best of my knowledge goes a tiny bit further:
- using a software without license (and I doubt you get a license for
IDeneb) is probably not legal anywhere on this world (yet there may be
countries I do not know of)
- The terms of the license itself (binding you to Apple hardware) may
not be binding in every country. Local laws my restrict, what a license
can impose => therefore there may be (a considerate amount of)
countries, in which you can run a legally obtained copy of OsX on any
hardware you want (as long as it actually supports the hardware)

Still, all this, is to the best of my knowledge => If anyone else knows
better, please update me.

> It does not matter what Apple would *like* to be allowed or disallowed
> in *their* parallel universe or what they do not "allow". Fortunately
> they haven't got legislative powers anywhere (yet) so they simply are
> not in a position to "allow" or "forbid" you anything.

No Apple doesn't have legislative powers, but the legislative powers of
many countries have put laws in place against the usage of pirated
software. (Again to the best of my knowledge).