[Lazarus] Suggestion again: remove GTK1 from IDE and LCL

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Thu Jun 3 20:39:57 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 02.06.2010, 15:37 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> Hi,
>
> The previous message thread on this topic some weeks ago had lots of
> noise and no clear answer. Though I think it did raise some awareness
> to the problem.

[...]

> For those die-hard developers that must continue to use GTK1 -
> continue using 0.9.28.3 until you can upgrade to GTK2. Life evolves,
> so should your project. But it's rather pointless having a widgetset
> marked "deprecated" (already a good starting point) in the widgetset
> list, when it fact it cannot even be compiled any more.

No it isn't pointless. You forget about embedded computers, they are not
growing over time and are running on small amounts of ressoruces, e.g. a
233 MHz Geode CPU having 64 MB of RAM. I wouldn't even dare to try GTK2
on that little things.

> I vote to simply remove it completely from the widgetset list. No
> point in having something marked "deprecated" in Beta software either.
> I think the Lazarus project is the first to ever do this (at least
> from all project I have ever seen). :-)

Can you please explain one point for me:

The process of removing GTK1 is a bunch of work for the developers of
lazarus as it is for the users of GTK1 beeing bound to use it, because
they will have to care for getting and using the right versions of
lazarus and fpc. Additionally someone has to document all this in the
wiki.

But what exactly is the benefit of doing all this work?

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>