[Lazarus] Suggestion again: remove GTK1 from IDE and LCL

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Jun 4 23:37:55 CEST 2010

On 6/4/2010 06:21, zeljko wrote:
> On Friday 04 June 2010 12:08, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> On 4 June 2010 08:19, zeljko wrote:
>>> That's the reason why we split gtk/gtk2. We'll probably grant svn write
>>> access to gtk1 dir for few ppl who wants to maintain gtk1.
>>
>> A good idea. That would probably solve most of the current GTK1
>> issues. Plus GTK2 changes will not be able to break GTK1. At least
>> this way GTK1 can still live in Lazarus for a bit longer.
>
> I'm glad that you understood why we want to split gtk1/gtk2.

the problem is that graeme does and has written about it several times but
others don't grok it for some reason :?

standing here on the sidelines, i see no reason why a duplicate of the existing
code cannot be copied to a GTK2 unit and then each stripped of the other's
code... yeah, sure... that would result in some duplication but it would be
better in the long run since they could then easily divert in their own
directions without effecting the other... this would allow the GTK1 code to stay
operational as long as there was a maintainer for it and also allow the GTK2
code to grow and evolve and neither would adversely effect the other... no need
to try to create a share common code unit/lib... those working with GTK1 would
ensure that it works what whatever version of FPC/Laz and those working with
GTK2 would ensure that it works what whatever version of FPC/Laz...

seems like a win:win situation to me... even they diverge quite a bit...