[Lazarus] Suggestion again: remove GTK1 from IDE and LCL

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Jun 5 00:54:52 CEST 2010

waldo kitty wrote:

> unless i misunderstand something, once the LCL_fpGUI interface stuff is
> done, fpGUI will be a "drop-in" replacement for any of the existing
> interfaces... GTK1, GTK2, QT, WIN-whatever, etc...
>
> do i misunderstand that?

I'd hope that you don't. But right now it seems to me that Graeme is
kvetching about the fact that Lazarus's GTK1 support is going downhill
without making it clear whether he really wants to use it or whether
he's advertising fpGUI as an alternative.

The Linux distreax have in general moved to GTK2 and deprecate GTK1, at
which point I think it's reasonable for Lazarus to prefer GTK2 (plus
Carbon, Qt and so on). At the same time there seems to be a consensus
that something slimmer is desirable, but- speaking as an outsider- I
think it would be an enormous waste of effort trying to work on both
fpGUI and GTK1 simultaneously.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk