[Lazarus] Clean Up and Build / Fatal Error: Can't Create object file: units/i386-linux/hello.o

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 15:45:10 CEST 2010

On 07/06/2010, Henry Vermaak wrote:

> Shouldn't the examples (or indeed all of the source) be installed in
> /usr/local/src?

That will not make any difference. A standard user still doesn't have
write access to that location.

As far as I know, even with other products like Qt, GTK, Delphi which
includes demos and the system is installed in a multi-user
environment. Then if you want to compile and run a demo, you first
have to copy the demo source directory to a location you have
read/write access, then compile and run it from that new location.

Maybe Lazarus IDE should clearly notify the user that on opening such
a read-only project, that the location is indeed read-only, and the
demo needs to be copied to a new location first. Maybe Lazarus IDE
could do the copying as well, but personally I think that is too much
spoon feeding. Copying a directory is something simple which any
developer should know how to do.

This should apply for all multi-user systems: Windows, Linux, FreeBSD etc.

  - Graeme -