[Lazarus] Vortex unit for Turbo Pascal -- looking for volunteers to convert this excellent unit and others to Free Pascal and Lazarus.

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jun 8 10:30:08 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 08:31:02PM +1000, Peter E Williams wrote:

> This unit contains various routines that I use regularly in the software
> I write.
>
> This includes routines to UpperCase, LowerCase, and Capitalise strings;
> reading / writing disk sectors; searching a drive for a particular file;
> copying a file; to name a few.

90% of this unit seems to be in the FPC rtl as portable FPC routines already
or has equivalents.

A lot of the rest is very dos platform specific. (mostly the disk-reading)

16-bit assembler nearly always has to be rewritten from scratch. (since even
if you could convert it to 32-bit, the optimum case is usually gone)