[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 21:35:56 CEST 2010

On 17/06/2010, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>  If it is 'flat' info, I use .ini files. They are easy to use, human
>  editable, and inifiles is a small unit.
>
>  If the info is somehow hierarchical (multi-level), I use XML.

Fair enough, and that makes sense. Looking at all the xml files that
Lazarus IDE generates inside ~/.lazarus/ directory, I found 15 of
them. Only one (packagefiles.xml) I could see that really benefits
being in XML, all the others would have been much simpler in INI
files.

And looking at it again, even the packagefile.xml could easily be
presented as an INI file where data is store using CSV format for the
data section of an element - each xml element in the xml file is
exactly the same structure over and over anyway. It's easier to read
INI files and maybe having to parse a CSV data section than work with
XML.

But hey, we are way off topic again. ;-)

  - Graeme -