[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Fri Jun 18 09:37:20 CEST 2010

En/na waldo kitty ha escrit:

> then you missed my point... that point being that a database is not
> necessary in many cases where they are used... speaking of embedded,
> what does a refrigerator, microwave oven, convection oven, coffee maker
> or toaster oven need with a database? for that matter, what does a
> security camera, laser measure tool, or television need with a database?
> i mean, seriously...

My "embedded" equipment is an automated store servicing a production
line, so it has to keep track of what's inside it and to what's coming
down the line to service it.
Granted, it doesn't need that many records (1000 more or less[*]), but
why do I have to reinvent a database when sqlite already offers it and
it's fully ACID.
Besides, call me lazy, but the databases components are extremely
convenient and saves you from writing a lot of code when you want to
present and edit your data in a tabular form.
In fact, at times I used an sqlite database just as a configuration file
for the sheer convenience of using the database components.

[*]I won't make names, but the company where I deploy it would use an
oracle database for that.....

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.133)  Fax +34 93 5883007