[Lazarus] Why was XML format chosen for storing settings in Lazarus IDE?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:00:35 CEST 2010

On 18/06/2010, Alexander Klenin  wrote:

> Benefits of LFM vs. ini:
> 1) has now-quite-well-defined, but good enough support for encoding and
> quoting
> 2) is able to represent arbitrary data structures as well as XML
>
> See below for an example.

Not that I really want to deviate from the original thread, but in
your case, I not through JSON into the mix too. :)  I haven't worked
with JSON myself, but from looking at output examples, JSON seems a
lot more logical and readable than XML (for many use cases).

I suppose JSON could be a option for simple settings too, replacing
INI with something that is as readable as INI, supports infinite
nested settings, supports various data types including objects and
arrays and uses less bytes than the equivalent XML file (in most
cases, but you can butcher XML to use less bytes but with that comes
unreadable output).

See Also:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON

  - Graeme -