[Lazarus] Why was XML format chosen for storing settings in Lazarus IDE?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 17:45:16 CEST 2010

Alexander Klenin schrieb:

>   XMLConfigFile.SetDeleteValue(p+'Debugging/StripSymbols/Value',
> StripSymbols,false);
>
> Clearly, those are not not the best examples of applying DRY principle ;-)

ACK. Hard coded pathes break any accepted design rules :-(

Actually I'm struggling with Mattias, about the many (obsolete) classes
and methods in the Lazarus IDE. IMO the IDE would profit from a general
refactoring, but who would do that, and who would make the result only
work again? Not to mention the many changes that are on the road with
the new (dockable) layout management.

So we must be happy that Mattias does the work right now, and we must
accept the way how he makes things work. I've stopped working on an
alternative IDE model, because right now I see no chance that it ever
would be merged with the ongoing work in the trunk version.

DoDi