[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat Jun 19 16:25:48 CEST 2010

On 6/18/2010 19:54, David W Noon wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:44:21 -0400, waldo kitty wrote about Re:
> [Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux:

>>> I guess with databases it depends on how well managed the database
>>> is, how well the database tables are designed, and how skilled the
>>> developer is at writing SQL.
>>
>> indexes are another huge factor for having efficient databases... i
>> can't count the number of times that i've created an index on a set
>> of tables and the efficiency has gone up several magnitudes compared
>> to what it used to be...
>
> Reminds me of a database I was designing about 10 years ago on an IBM
> mainframe.  One query was taking 18-20 minutes to run.  I added another
> index to one of the tables -- it had 3 or 4 already -- and the query
> dropped to 12 milliseconds.  That is some speed up!

yup! exactly what i'm speaking of... i've got genealogy and recipe databases
that i added an index to each of... the coders had been going on and on about
being unable to speed them up and this and that and "just put it on faster
hardware"... thankee but no... "FixYerShit<tm> and oh BTW: i added this index
for a major speed increase on my 400mhz dual CPU server"... i think they're
still arguing about what it's gonna take to make it go and i've yet to see a new
install carrying that index i created... so when i install it, i wait to see
what folk say and if they complain about the speed, i go create that index, pick
up my $$$ and don't hear anything from them about speed problems any more ;)