[Lazarus] Keyboard shortcuts not always working

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 25 12:57:51 CEST 2010

Martin schrieb:

>> Embedded designers require scrolling and other navigation, when not
>> the whole form (or all currently open forms) fit into the docking
>> area. IMO it were much more useful to have floating form designers,
>> even in a docked environment, with a synchronization between active
>> designer windows and the related units. The source code fits almost
>> never entirely into the editor client area, so that the user is used
>> to scroll through it, while forms should fit entirely at least into
>> the screen.
>
> But then you could use the whole client (minus object inspector) area as
> designer-dock area:
>
> +-----------------------
> | Menu
> | IDE - Main Bar
> +----------------------
> | [Notebook Tab Edit Source Dock]  [Tab Edit Forms + OI]
> |
> | "Dockable Client area"
> |
> +-------------------
>

> "Dockable Client area" is tabbed:
> - one etab contains:
>  ObjectInspector + Form Designer
>
> - Other Tab contains Source Editor

Such a layout requires a window management that differs from the
undocked one, it's not sufficient to only make windows dockable. When
e.g. the designer and source code reside in different tabs of the same
notebook, the IDE must not try to make both visible at the same time.
Such specialized layout management is not (yet) implemented in the IDE,
the current dockable approach is more a hack, that can conflict with
many automatism implemented for the undocked layout.

That's why I try to convince Mattias to allow for full-fledged
installable layout managers, not only for a DockMaster add-on. Then we
can have any number of IDE layouts, like classic undocked, parts
dockable, monolithic (SDI), and whatever else one may want to implement.

DoDi