[Lazarus] Gtk2 question

SteveG steveg at nevets.com.au
Mon Jun 28 03:27:35 CEST 2010

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 20:34:26 +0300
Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi> wrote:

> I updated info about building and installing svn trunk version of FPC
> compiler, based on mails from Marc and Graeme earlier. Here:
>
>   http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#svn_trunk_version_of_fpc
>
> It is part of a long messy page, Getting_Lazarus, which could be cleaned a
> lot.
> This is a typical problem with wiki pages. The contents may be good and
> accurate but nobody takes care of the overall structure. I could try to clean
> it in future but now let's check this FPC installation part.
> There was a text (not by me):
>

> There are many ways to compile and install FPC. You can use plain make (see
> below), but it is recommended to build a fpc package for your distribution
> (.deb or .rpm file). A fpc package allows to easily uninstall, upgrade and
> downgrade it and a package makes sure that all files are installed at the
> common places. So if something goes wrong, other users know how to help you.
>

> The text "You can use plain make (see below)" was a ToDo item I guess.
> I added info for "make all" and "make install" under section "Building and
> installing the svn version of fpc".
>
> Then it says "it is recommended to build a fpc package for your distribution
> (.deb or .rpm file)".
> Why would it be recommended? I tried to build such RPM package when installing
> FPC trunk for the first time, but I failed.

... then the rpm should be fixed.

> Still I was able to install it using "make all" and "make install" and it has
> been very easy to update since then.

For example because "make install"
-does not update your fpc.cfg,
-does not update the symlink under Linux (is this still the case?),
-no uninstall
-installs under Linux under /usr/local/lib, while the
packages install under /usr/lib

Everyone of them easily leads to 'strange' compilation errors and the
mailing list, forums and chats are full of questions from people which
use "make install".

> So, I would say making a distro package is the more difficult way and the
> recommendation should be changed.

For those wanting to use make install, the wiki should
point to Marcos howto.

> Someone please check that the facts are correct in my wiki changes.

Mattias