[Lazarus] Parser

Adem listmember at letterboxes.org
Wed Jun 30 22:23:04 CEST 2010

  On 2010-06-30 15:00, Marcos Douglas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
> <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>  wrote:
>> One big advantage of the separation into syntactical and semantical parts is the chance for adding further languages to the compiler...
> No sense for me.
> IMHO, we chose the FPC much more by language than by the great compiler. If we have more languages, Pascal loses your glamour!
Why do you think Pascal would lose its glamor when (or if) FPC can
compile other languages?

I would have thought it would be just the opposite:

If you could compile, say, Modula (or C/C++) with FPC, you would have
direct access to a huge & time-tested resource of libraries etc which
you could directly incorporate into your applications, or even do
automatic source code translation (provided someone writes this
capability); all these and more could add plenty more glamor to FPC
--that is, if it needs that.

I know these things are mostly pie-in-the-sky at the moment, but I don't
understand why it would be undesirable to lay the groundwork for future
expansion.

Is this a new form of racism? ;)

[I couldn't help ending it with a troll <g>]

Cheers,

Adem