[Lazarus] Parser

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Wed Jun 30 22:31:38 CEST 2010

Adem schrieb:
>  On 2010-06-30 15:00, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
>> <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>  wrote:
>>> One big advantage of the separation into syntactical and semantical
>>> parts is the chance for adding further languages to the compiler...
>> No sense for me.
>> IMHO, we chose the FPC much more by language than by the great
>> compiler. If we have more languages, Pascal loses your glamour!
> Why do you think Pascal would lose its glamor when (or if) FPC can
> compile other languages?

... because it increases the maintainance work on fpc. Even with one
front end only we are almost unable to keep the issue count under
control. I'am pretty sure that more front ends will be rejected without
more people working on bug fixing in fpc.

> I would have thought it would be just the opposite:
>
> If you could compile, say, Modula (or C/C++) with FPC, you would have
> direct access to a huge & time-tested resource of libraries etc which
> you could directly incorporate into your applications,

This can be done already using compilers supporting these languages