[Lazarus] Access to  PostgreSQL

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Mon Mar 1 12:38:58 CET 2010

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> This was my impression, too. The old (undocked) IDE allowed to view
> *multiple* documents (units) in multiple editor windows *at the same
> time*, while the new IDE only allows to view a *single* unit at the same
> time.

:-)
Delphi 7 IDE is a mixed bag, but still SDI. It's not only about being able
to view multiple units in a same window, it's how those embedded documents
are managed too, and how the end-user can interact with those documents.

In true MDI style, each document (represented by embedded child window) can
be minimized, maximized, tiled, stacked and moved around inside the parent
form.

In Delphi 7 IDE it only allows viewing multiple units in a Source Editor
window via a tab interface (this is what seems to confuse you guys), but
you cannot move each "unit window" around inside the main form's "virtual
desktop", you can't tile them, you can't iconify them etc.. That is why
Delphi 7 IDE is a SDI design - MDI apps can do all those.

Also Delphi 7 IDE does allow each unit to be opened in a separate Source
Editor window - NOT part of the Main Form (form with component palette).
This is another tell tail sign of SDI style application - there is no
"virtual desktop" managed by the Main form.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/