[Lazarus] debug windows layout

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Mar 2 00:33:26 CET 2010

On 3/1/2010 15:42, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
>
>> MDI child windows MUST live inside the bounds of the Main Form!
>
> That's a matter of taste, and I do not expect everybody to agree with my
> viewpoint. MDI windows and menus are specific to the Windows platform,
> so that other criteria must be found for other platforms.

FWIW: as David Noon pointed out, the definitive definitions are in the books
written by IBM and M$ when they developed and documented the MDI and SDI
interfaces back in the early days of OS/2 (at least) ;)

>> Other than this, I think I give up trying to explain this. :-)
>
> You explained your viewpoint very clearly, no need to refrain :-)
>
> My viewpoint in short:
> SDI: only one document per process
> TDI: multiple documents per process, accessible in different tabs
> MDI: multiple documents per process, accessible in different windows
>
> We only differ in the location of the documents.
> Your model requires that they reside in a dedicated MDI window,
> my model only requires that they are part of one process/instance of an
> application.
>

> WRT Lazarus, I have to start multiple instances when I want to see
> multiple source units at the same time. This restriction brought me to
> docking first, and now (finally) to the implementation of multiple edit
> windows. I do not bother whether somebody calls it MDI or SDI, my only
> desire are multiple edit windows in one process.

that's a fine goal and i, for one, look forward to seeing and using your work in
this aspect... i feel that it will be a big improvment to Laz's IDE and will
enable more productivity in the same way that multiple document capabilities
helped back in the days of Borland's Turbo and Borland Pascal IDEs :)