[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Paul Ishenin webpirat at mail.ru
Sat Mar 6 04:47:33 CET 2010

06.03.2010 4:59, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Yes I know we are all busy and have REAL
> jobs, but then give more developers write access and delicate work to
> those developers.
We constangly give write access to more and more developers. Since the
year begin Luiz and Juha got an ability to commit their changes
directly. We are trying to notice active contributers who write ideal
patches. I have 2 candidates in mind who can get the write access.
> The "fixes" branch has been totally unusable for
> months because the form designer is broken (you cannot move/resize
> components) and nothing is being done regarding that - even though it
> has been reported numerous times.

We need someone who wants to maintain it. Who is willing to?
> I just feel there seems to be no clear direction or goal in the
> Lazarus project any more.

I did not feel this direction from the start of working on Lazarus and I
don't feel it now. My current goal is to stabilize what we have and to
release 1.0. Probably at this moment we have most of features that
delphi 7 has. Some of them still require much work (like visual form
inheritance).
> Also, what's the state of Mantis bug reports? The statistics pages in
> Mantis is hidden from general users (we don't have access). What is
> the ratio of bugs being fixed to bugs being reported?
I remember I have a trial to reduce bug reports. Every day bug amount
decreased and after a month or two we had -200 bugs less. But bug amount
raises too fast once you switch back to active feature development and
forget about the tracker. So I believe we have +300 new bugs after that
trial :) Someone just need to live in the tracker and fix/reject/update
bug status.
> I just feel Lazarus project overall has NO
> goal! And a project with no overall goal has no future.

Please help to formulate the Lazarus project goal.

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin.