[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Mar 6 10:41:35 CET 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

>> Also, what's the state of Mantis bug reports? The statistics pages in
>> Mantis is hidden from general users (we don't have access).
>
> It causes a lot of load: it takes several seconds to load it. I've
> attached a summary graph for lazarus.

Looking at the graph, you can see that the ratio unresolved/resolved
is actually becoming smaller, thus countering Graeme's arguments.

Graeme has tunnel-view problems. I say this because I recognize the
symptoms, I have them myself often. It's a matter of the glass being
half-empty or half-full. Graeme currently sees a half-empty glass.

Instead of focusing on the open problems, you should see how much
problems are actually closed. This is clearly visible in the graph.

I have only one critique on Graeme: I understand his reasons for
starting fpGUI, but in fact in starting it, he has made the
"lazarus problem" he now complains about, worse.

If Graeme had spent his time and effort on helping out in the LCL,
instead of fpGUI, then the graph would have looked quite differently,
I'm quite sure.

I know Graeme for a good coder, and therefor I regret that he decided
to start fpGUI (this does not mean I consider fpGUI in itself bad),
because I think the LCL could have used someone like him.

It's all a matter of available resources.

My conclusion: Graeme, stop focusing on what goes wrong, instead
see what goes right (the Graph Florian posted clearly shows that
there is progress). And I do suggest you make the jump to the LCL.

Michael.