[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 08:44:04 CET 2010

On 6 March 2010 11:41, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Looking at the graph, you can see that the ratio unresolved/resolved
> is actually becoming smaller, thus countering Graeme's arguments.

Well Michael, very few have access to statistics. So the rest of use
must simply guess what's going one. Based on my experience with the
Lazarus project and what I have read in the mailing list, I made an
assumption.

I am very glad to see that the "resolved" line has followed the
"unresolved" trend, though the gap between the too seem to larger now
that it used to be. But that is probably due to Lazarus becoming a
more popular project with more new users reporting issues.

> If Graeme had spent his time and effort on helping out in the LCL,
> instead of fpGUI, then the graph would have looked quite differently,
> I'm quite sure.

Michael, that would have been the logical choice, and something we
have tried when we moved from Delphi/Kylix. Many off the issues we had
was marked as "will not fix" in LCL (there is a wiki page listing a
few). So even if I joined the LCL development team, there was no way I
could change it in LCL. This is unacceptable for our type of
application - hence I started work on fpGUI giving us no limits at
all.

The last think you want to hear is 'you may not do this, you may not
do that etc.', and then having to explain that to the boss. The boss
simply answers by saying: I hired a development team to create custom
written software for our company, what I want, I want to get. I don't
want to hear problems, just fix it!

But this is getting off-topic, we are supposed to talk about the
Lazarus project.

> My conclusion: Graeme, stop focusing on what goes wrong, instead
> see what goes right (the Graph Florian posted clearly shows that there is
> progress). And I do suggest you make the jump to the LCL.

Like I mentioned before, only a select few have access to the graphs.
Everybody else has to guess how the Lazarus project is progressing. I
asked Florian and will ask you too. Is there a way to save some of
those statistics pages as static pages for the general public to view.
Maybe the static pages can be updated once per month?

  - Graeme -