[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 10:14:45 CET 2010

On 7 March 2010 10:47, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> ... and the functionality is less: just one example: Drag and Drop between
> explorer and file dialogs does not work in MSEgui,

I'm sure that will be a quick fix for Martin, it if was brought to his
attention. To be honest, no matter what platform, I have never even
consider the action of drag-drop into a File Open dialog. Yes I have
done drag-drop into a application window, but never into a File Dialog
window. It's just amazing how each person works differently. :)

> neither the context menu
> works, so one can not create folders, rename files etc.

I always smile when I see such comments - I guess it's a matter of
oppinion. What is a "file open dialog"? Maybe the name will give you a
hint? Yes, to select a file to open. If you want to manage files or
folders, then user Windows Explorer, Total Commander, Double
Commander, Nautilus etc... That's what the file manager applications
were designed for.

> quickly, no W7
> favorite folder list (which I really like) etc.

A handy feature yes, and something fpGUI will have in the next week.
It's been on my todo list for long enough. :)

>> I just think that LCL took the wrong approach in there implementation.
>
> People want delphi compatibility.

I'm not arguing that, I'm simply stating the widgetset "interfaces"
design is not idea, and that has nothing to do with Delphi
compatibility.

Either GTK1, GTK2, Qt, Cocoa, Carbon, fpGUI or KOL has the notion of a
GDIObject type? So why is it in the widgetset "interfaces" that must
be implemented in each of the LCL backends?
That's Windows-ism forced down on every developer wanting to implement
a new LCL backend.

  - Graeme -