[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Martin Schreiber fpmse at bluewin.ch
Sun Mar 7 10:54:26 CET 2010

On Sunday 07 March 2010 09:47:50 Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> ... and the functionality is less: just one example: Drag and Drop
> between explorer and file dialogs does not work in MSEgui, neither the
> context menu works, so one can not create folders, rename files etc.
> quickly, no W7 favorite folder list (which I really like) etc.

It can be added if there is a sponsor. ;-)
It is possible to add platform specific functionality, components and widgets.
I don't make it my self because my needs are identical behaviour of MSEgui on
Linux and Windows. You are free to add the wanted widgets yourself.
BTW there is tguiapplication.registersyseventhandler() in order to hook into
Windows and X11 messages.

> > easier to fix bugs too. And to fix a bug it's in one
> > location for all supported platforms (99% of the time).

I second that. I used VCL for the pre-predecessor (Windows only) and CLX for
the predecessor of MSEgui as base and decided that the goal of creating a
high quality and productive platform independent framework based on platform
specific widget libraries is too difficult for me. But I am a one man show
only, Lazarus has probably better possibilities.

> > But it has been discussed a million times before and not to be
> > repeated here again. Lazarus wanted to take a different approach, by
> > having a native look and feel and using native components where
> > possible. I know this.
> >
> > I just think that LCL took the wrong approach in there implementation.
>
> People want delphi compatibility.

Delphi compatibility and crossplatform and especially using external
widgetsets is a contradiction I fear. It is maybe imaginable to design a
dedicated architecture in order to abstract the differences of the widgetset.
I don't think VCL was designed for that purpose.

Martin