[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Sun Mar 7 15:28:34 CET 2010

> We've been using C++ Builder ...
> [...]
> Native compilation - check. Native look and feel - check. Similar
> object structure to our existing code base - check.

and easier and clearer language syntax - check.

> A colleague moved a rather complex software update tool from C++
> Builder to Lazarus in 4 days - and we now have a Mac version as well.
> That, my friends, is nothing short of incredible.

Hmmm... how did he convert the source code?
Is simple find/replace enough or does it need lots of editing?
By replace I mean :
'{' --> begin
'}' --> end
'->' --> '.'
&param --> var param
*param --> var param (I guess)
Remove '*'
etc. direct syntax changes.

If that works then it could be implemented in a future version of Delphi
converter, making it  "Delphi / C++ Builder converter".

Ok, it needs some parsing for sure. Like:

  bool myclass::myfunc(otherclass *param)
must be changed to:
  function myclass.myfunc(param: otherclass): boolean;

which already needs a parser. But if it needs a full C++ parser then it
becomes complicated and may not be worth the effort.

Regards,
Juha Manninen