[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Sun Mar 7 17:59:31 CET 2010

Hi,

> It certainly wouldn't be impossible to get a C++ Builder to Lazarus
> converter going - you'd never get it perfect, but hey - that's what
> compiler errors are for, eh? ;>) And with some 50 programs yet to
> translate, we'll probably be doing something like that. If we do, I'll
> be sure to put the script/source up somewhere and let you folks know.
> If anybody else already has such a thing, by all means, feel free to
> share!

Thinking it more carefully, a C++ parser is needed if you want to make the
conversion even nearly automatic. The languages have different contructs.
There are C++ features which can't be (easily) converted, like pointer
arithmetic and templates.
VCL UI code may not have the most advanced C++ features but some other units
may have them.

I didn't find any C++ to object pascal (or Delphi) converters from internet by
google search. If nobody has made it then it must be a difficult task.

Regards,
Juha