[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Mar 7 19:30:53 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 06:46:56PM +0100, Thierry Coq wrote:

> This doesn't solve the issue on when this bug will be corrected, what
> path will it take, who can correct or test the correction, etc. The
> casual (would-be) contributor such as myself seems excluded and not
> really wanted. This is a perception that I have, unwillingly.

From?

> For the moment, Lazarus is enough for my prototyping, and I'm waiting
> for a stable, 1.0 version. Until then, there is no chance as a
> professional developer that I could recommend this tool, although it
> shows great promise. In the meantime, I develop a few components,
> testing such issues such as COM/DCOM and dynamic loading of libraries,

COM is getting better, slowly (noticable in 2.5.1, but still not perfect,
specially wrt exceptions. Will be in FPC 2.6 at the earliest).

I don't see any big development (or interest from _contributing_ users) in
dynamic libraries. (and there are many pitfalls and multiplatform gotcha's
here. There is not even a good inventorisation what should work how). So
unless somebody is going to invest major amounts of times, I don't see this
happening in say the coming two years _AT LEAST_.

More importantly though, most of this are FPC features, and not Lazarus so
unrelated to Lazarus 1.0 or not.