[Lazarus] Problems with accented characters

Silvio Clecio silvioprog at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 23:29:55 CET 2010

2010/3/7 Zaher Dirkey <parmaja at gmail.com>:

> Designing a cross-platform LCL from the start will take another long time,

Obviously it's a bit late now for such a large design changes. As
Michael suggested, maybe make it a v2.0 goal. But that will be decades
away. :)

> But i will translate your message, you dislike to see emulation Windows API
> functions.

YES, there is no need for it!

As far as I understand, there is/was two three goals for the Lazarus project.

1) Delphi compatible (we don't know which version though)

2) Cross platform

3) Native widgets to help the look and feel argument.

All of the above is possible without emulating the Windows API, so why
pollute the LCL with such Windows-ism (I don't know a real word for
this). As I said, I was looking last night at how much work it will be
to implement LCL-fpGUI widgets. Immediately I see two units named
fpguiwinapi.inc and fpguiwinapih.inc, and I think to my self - what
the fuck?? Why does LCL require all other widgetsets to implement the
API of a single platform? Just look at Qt, GTK2, fpGUI, MSEgui - all
cross platform widgetsets without the need of re-implementing the
Windows API, so why does LCL require it. Bad design?

Then take a look inside the XXXXwinapih.inc and see all the methods
that must be implemented by each backend widgets. Those methods uses
Win32 API types like HDC, WHND, HBITMAP, GDIObject, HGDIOBJ, HHOOK
etc... All those types mean nothing to Qt, GTK1, GTK2, Cocoa, Carbon,
fpGUI - yet we are expected to somehow make sense of those and
translate them so something relevant in each of the other non-Windows
toolkits. Absurd design.

And this probably contributes to the problems all other widgetset
maintainers have and the cause of stability problems. Not only do they
need to know their own widgetset, they need to have intricate
knowledge of the Windows API before they can implement their widgetset
backend (even though that backend has nothing to do with Windows). :-(

  - Graeme -