[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 23:19:50 CET 2010

On 7 March 2010 20:47, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Yes, but you disregard the native look and feel. As soon as you must
> introduce that, there will be less common code.

The benefits of a custom drawn toolkit - we can choose what features
to support. :-)

> This is manifestly uncorrect. Show your product and a competing product
> with roughly similar features but using 'standard' windows controls, and you
> can be assured that the user will choose for the standard one.

I can assure you that if I disable the gradient color selection,
enable system color detection, then most common components are to the
pixel accurate with Win2000 or WinXP un-themed look - default theme in
fpGUI. I should probably mention that most of our clients are still
running Win98 and Win2000, so this helps us too. I've spent many hours
with 'xmag' observing Win98, Win2000 and WinXP screenshots so I can
recreate the look - to the pixel.

This year I'll be enabling the same for WinXP, Vista, Motif and
Clearlooks. WinXP and Motif are each about 90% complete. This should
be sufficient to fool most common end-users.

> I can only guess, but I think the reason you are getting away with your path
> is that you're in a situation where there simply is no competing product.

The benefit of being the best in the market. :-)

> And for the record: none of what I write is meant to diminish the
> achievements of fpGUI.

I have not taken any offence either - you are simply speaking of what you know.

  - Graeme -