[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 13:54:13 CET 2010

Doug Chamberlin schrieb:

> I see a bunch of bugs reported and developers posting that those are
> fixed. But unless I wade in and install SVN and figure out how to use it
> to update my local source and figure out how to compile FPC and Lazarus
> I cannot make use of those bug fixes.

Why don't you simply use an SVN client, to keep you working copy in sync
with the project trunk? Compiling Lazarus requires not much more than a
mouse click, and some time for the compilation itself.

> When 2.4.0 was released I thought, Ok, maybe I should start with that.
> So I went about installing and building and learning my way around. Then
> came to a crashing halt when I learned you could not build Lazarus using
> the 2.4.0 FPC. Huh?

The required changes have been applied to the Lazarus code, long before
it became *necessary* to use FPC 2.4 for a Lazarus build. IMO you better
start with a Lazarus Release version, and install both the Lazarus and
FPC of that version, instead of upgrading both independently.

I only wonder what happend to my openSUSE when I tried to upgrade to FPC
2.4. It looks to me as if the RPM handling was affected, somehow,
because now I'm unable to install *any* RPM, with the always same
(CPIO?) error: "invalid checksum for archive" :-(

DoDi