[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 9 13:15:30 CET 2010

Vincent Snijders schrieb:

>>> It's almost impossible to replace an
>>> inappropriate implementation by a better model, because some existing
>>> code
>>> *could* be broken by such an change - unless such a suggestion comes
>>> from a
>>> core developer, who simply changes his existing code.
>>>

>> I wholeheartedly agree with the above -- a purely theoretical
>> backwards incompatibility
>> issue already prevented me from contributing to at least one Lazarus
>> subsystem.
>>

> I wonder how such wishes can be reconciled with wishes from Tom Lisjac
> for example to have more stable lazarus, not changing compatibility
> every release (if that is what actually happens).

The LCL could be simplified (and stabilized) in some areas. This could
be done by removing unused or unusable parts, or by delegating other
tasks to new classes. The scope of such refactoring varies, from almost
local (docking) to an entire class tree (components, IDE interfaces).
The latter changes are almost impossible, since just a proof of concept
would require assistance by other developers, who had to implement the
required changes in their area (e.g. components or widgetsets). Chances
are very low that this ever will happen :-(

DoDi