[Lazarus] windres: can't open manifest

Paul Ishenin webpirat at mail.ru
Mon Mar 15 16:17:07 CET 2010

15.03.2010 22:03, Michael Schnell wrote:
> I got the error message:
>
> c:\lazarus\fpc\2.2.4\bin\386-win32\windres.exe: can't open file
> 'project1.manifest': No such file or directory
> project1.lpr(20.1) Error: Error while linking.
>
> I deleted the complete c:\lazarus directory and reinstalled
> lazarus-0.9.23.2-fpc-2.2.4-win32 (that did work just fine before) just
> leaving all defaults.
>
> But the problem did not go away.
>
> What did Lazarus save where that triggers this error ?

To do the tests better to also use lazarus test version (0.9.29) which
already does not have such problems.

Previosly lazarus required windres program to build resources for an
executable. Lazarus created an rc file per application which had
references to manifest, icon and version information (if enabled). That
rc file was compiled by windres. Sometimes (for example if you did not
save your project before the compile) not all required files was
properly saved before the compile and this caused problems like you have.

So the solution was to save your project to some directory without
special symbols (like spaces) in path before the compile. Latest lazarus
and latest fpc don't have these resources problems.

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin.