[Lazarus] Newcomers with Debian based systems

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 03:29:10 CET 2010

waldo kitty schrieb:

>>> The official Ubuntu packages did not allow to install a working
>>> version of Lazarus, so I consulted the Lazarus homepage. If somebody
>>> can update the Ubuntu repository, I'd give that solution another try.
>> Before installing, add to the Synaptic software sources the Lazarus
>> Ubuntu repository to get the latest stable lazarus/fpc versions.
>
> what is that and how would it be done... remember, this is for newbies
> who may or may not know what the command line is or how to use it ;)
>
> it should be able to be done it... what? three steps?

It worked almost foolproof for me (Kubuntu here):

0) open the wiki (to read the instructions)
1) open Computer|Software Management
2a) go to Settings (bottom entry), Edit Software Sources, Other Software
2b) Add, copy&paste the "deb ..." from the wiki
3a) go to Software Management(top entry), enter "lazarus", Search
3b) select "lazarus - 0.9.28.2-0 (all)"

(2) should be doable by a developer
(3b) is critical, the four entries look very similar

Therefore I proceeded after step 2 in a Terminal:
   sudo apt-get install lazarus
with the somewhat unexpected effect that after installation the command is
   lazarus-ide
but the system menu now has the expected
Applications|Development|Lazarus entry.

Nonetheless two problems remain:
- the help is installed, but into the wrong directory (/usr/share/...)
- fpc 2.2.4 is installed, too old when switching to SVN trunk later

I hope that the Help issue is fixed soon. Research for SVN and fpc 2.4
goes on...

>   foo -add-repository whatisitcalled
>   apt-get update
>   whatever install command is needed
>
> where the "foo" line is the important one which may involve "vi" or some
> other editor and the exact line contents necessary...
>
> please?

Using the GUI seems easier to me, but writing down the required steps is
not so easy, in detail when nationalized menu entries are involved.

DoDi